A cross between Japanese Agedashi Tofu and Chinese Salt and Pepper Tofu this recipe has a crispy coating and serves 6.
- 60g (1/2 cup) salt
- 3 tsp white pepper
- 1 tsp Chinese five-spice powder
- 3 x 500g packets firm tofu
- 100g potato/sweet potato starch
- Vegetable oil, to deep-fry
- 1 long chilli, seeded, thinly shredded
- 2 spring onions, thinly sliced on the diagonal
To make the seasoning, combine salt, pepper and five spice powder in a small bowl.
Drain tofu and cut into 2 cm-thick, 4 cm square. (You can buy pre-cut tofu from Asian food shops)
Carefully coat the tofu, one at a time, with starch. Leave for 30 seconds for starch to stick to tofu.
Fill a saucepan about a third full with oil and heat to medium heat to 180°C (or until a cube of bread turns golden in 10 seconds). Fry tofu, in 6 batches, for 2 minutes, turning halfway, or until light golden. Remove with a slotted spoon and drain on a paper towel.
Season with salt and pepper seasoning.
Serve tofu in bowls with chilli and spring onions scattered over.