There are three ingredients in these simple chocolates: coconut oil, raw cacao powder and your choice of natural sweetener.
Coconut oil is a healthy fat, perfect for ensuring we get our adequate intake of fats in a day.
Raw cacao is considered a superfood due to the high density of essential nutrients it contains, very few side-affects and proven health benefits. It contains many vitamins and minerals. This isn't the same as cocoa, cacao is slightly more bitter and better for you than cocoa.
Your choice of sweetener: Raw honey, maple syrup, rice malt syrup or pure liquid Stevia.
These sweeteners are less processed, lower GI, have beneficial nutrients of their own, don’t mess with your blood sugar levels in the way that cane sugar does, and are less addictive. All sweeteners however are still sweeteners, so use in moderation.
- 1/2 cup (120ml) coconut oil
- 1/2 cup (120ml) cacao
- Sweetener to taste: honey, rice syrup, maple syrup or liquid stevia
- Melt the coconut oil gently in a double boiler
- If your sweetener needs melting too, turn off the heat then add to the double boiler, stirring until melted
- Add the cacao, stir until combined
- Spoon into chocolate moulds, mini cupcakes cases or ice cube trays.
- Put the chocolate in the fridge until set, then transfer to a container. These must be kept in the fridge as coconut oil melts quickly.